Newsletter - w/c 24/02/2020
Please find below the weekly newsletter containing important information.
February Half Term
We wish all our families a restful half term break together. School is closed next week and school returns on Monday 24th February 2020 at 8:40am. Please make sure your child returns to school on time as we have two activities planned:
- The dentist returns to see those children who weren't seen last time
- The company A-Life are in to run fun, fitness workshops for all the children. Please make sure your child has their PE kit on Monday 24th February 2020!
We are noticing that many children do not bring a PE kit to school, making it difficult for them to participate fully in PE lessons. Please note that our school has an above average number of overweight children so it's vital all children can join in fully during PE lessons to improve their health and confidence.
Please use the February half term to purchase a PE kit for your child/ren. PE kits should include:
- School-branded PE t-shirt or a plain white t-shirt
- Navy blue shorts
- Navy blue jogging bottoms (for outside PE)
- Trainers or plimsolls
- Kit bag (i.e. to store the PE kit in)
Please make sure all items are labelled with your child's name.
Please also make sure your child brings their PE kit to school on a Monday and brings it home on a Friday for washing, as needed.
Learning Support Assistant - Job Advert
We are looking to appoint a Learning Support Assistant to work with a child with autism. If you, or someone you know, has experience working with children with special educational needs, please click here for the job advert on Guardian Jobs and here for the job advert on Teach in Herts.
Friends of Hurst Drive - Valentine Disco
A big thank you to Mrs Lloyd (Safeguarding Coordinator) and the Friends of Hurst Drive for organising the disco for the children. It has helped to raise money for the school and a good time was had by all. Remember, if you would like to join the Friends of Hurst Drive, you can speak to Mrs Lloyd or one of the parents/carers involved.
Kestrel House - Fundraising for Herts Young Homeless
Thank you to Mrs Geggus (Assistant Headteacher), along with Mrs Bye and Mrs Maldar (Higher-level Teaching Assistants) for escorting some of the children from Kestrel House to the Pavilions Shopping Centre in Waltham Cross to help raise money for their house's charity: Herts Young Homeless.
Taking a guess, it looks as though the donations from the public have raised a few hundred pounds which will go a long way with helping those young people in Hertfordshire who have fallen on tough times. We are sending the money to Herts Young Homeless for them to count and we'll let the children (and our families) know how much we raised as soon as we know.
For your information, each of the four houses in our school has a linked charity:
- Eagle House - Essex and Herts Air Ambulance
- Kestrel House - Herts Young Homeless
- Hawk House - Herts Vision Loss
- Falcon House - Wood Green - The Animals Charity
Over the rest of the school year, the children in those houses will put on events to help raise money for their linked charity. We thank you in advance for any donations you make.
Bikes and Scooters
Please see below for a few reminders regarding children and their bikes and scooters:
- We are pleased the children are enjoying using their bikes and scooters at lunchtime. Please know that the children will often let other children use their bike and scooter. We are happy for the children to do this as it shows kindness, sharing things with others. That said, we cannot reimburse parents/carers if a child's bike or scooter gets broken. If you would rather keep your child's bike and scooter at home that is fine.
- When your child enters school at the start of the day, please tell them to get off their bike/scooter and to walk it to the bike shed for Reception, Year 1 and Year 2, and round to the back playground for Years 3-6. This avoids accidents occurring. Similarly, at home time, please encourage your child to walk their bike/scooter to the entrance gate and then from there, they can cycle or scoot along Hurst Drive and beyond.
- Lots of the children have the same bike or scooter. Please find a way to personalise your child's one to avoid another child accidentally taking it home. Similarly, try not to let your child leave their bike or scooter overnight in school as this is often when another child will take it home.
Other than the Spanish Club which ended this week, all other clubs will continue after the February half term. This means if your child currently has a space at a club, they'll still have that space next half term. That said, we have staff training after school on Monday 24th February 2020, so those clubs usually on a Monday will take place on Tuesday 25th February 2020.
For your information, there are spaces at the following clubs:
- 2 spaces available for the KS1 & KS2 Homework Club - Mondays, 3:30-4:15pm - Mrs Bye
- 7 spaces available for the Years 3 & 4 Times Tables Rockstars Club - Mondays, 3:30-4:15pm, Ms O'Keeffe
- 8 spaces available for the Years 5 & 6 Board Games Club - Mondays, 3:30-4:15pm, Mrs Page
Dates for the Diary
Please see below for some dates for the diary for next half term:
Monday 24th February 2020 - Start of the Half Term - School starts at 8:40am
Monday 24th February 2020 - Dentist Visit
Monday 24th February 2020 - A-Life Workshop - Please make sure your child has their PE kit
Thursday 27th February 2020 - Year 6 Apple Class Visit to the Library
Monday 2nd March 2020 - Secondary School National Allocation Day - Parents/carers of children in Year 6 will receive an e-mail detailing which secondary school their child has been given
Thursday 5th March 2020 - World Book Day - Children are invited to dress up as a favourite character from a storybook
Thursday 12th March 2020 - Year 6 Elm Class Visit to the Library
Thursday 12th March 2020 - Parents and Carers' Evening, 3:30-9:00pm
Monday 16th March 2020 - Year 5 Mulberry Class Trip to the Victoria and Albert Museum
Thursday 19th March 2020 - Year 1 Ash Class Visit to the Library
Friday 20th March 2020 - Friends of Hurst Drive's Mothers' Day Sale
Friday 20th March 2020 - Year 5 Cedar Class Trip to the V&A Museum
Tuesday 24th March 2020 - Hurst Drive Hero Assembly, 9:00-9:30am (By Invitation Only)
Thursday 26th March 2020 - Year 1 Chestnut Class Visit to the Library
Monday 30th March 2020 - Year 2 Beech Class (half the class) Trip to Pizza Express in Hertford
Tuesday 31st March 2020 - Year 2 Beech Class (half the class) Trip to Pizza Express in Loughton
Wednesday 1st April 2020 - Year 2 Walnut Class (half the class) Trip to Pizza Express in Harlow
Thursday 2nd April 2020 - Year 2 Walnut Class (half the class) Trip to Pizza Express in Epping
Friday 3rd April 2020 - End of the Spring Term - School finishes at 1:45pm
We would like to thank you very much for helping us raise an amazing £322.72 for last year’s Poppy Appeal. As a whole the district managed to raise a total of £28,065.00.
Just a quick reminder that dinner money needs to be paid in advance on a Monday. Our preferred method of payment is on School Gateway. There are two options you can either pay £2.60 for a single meal or a weekly cost of £13.00 for five meals. If you are unable to pay on the School Gateway, please come into the office with the correct money in an envelope.
If you receive a dinner debt letter, please make sure this is cleared straight away to avoid your child having to bring in a packed lunch until the debt is cleared. Unpaid dinner debts could result in the cost of the school dinner charge being increased in the future which would be unfair for those parents/carers who always pay on time.
The School Office Team
Hurst Drive Primary School