In English lessons, children are taught speaking, listening, reading and writing skills through studying a focus text. Teachers follow the school’s Teaching Sequence for Writing, which means that children will firstly be taught to read and understand the text, then practise the skills of the style of writing (including grammar) and apply into their own writing.
Speaking and Listening
The children will become more familiar with and confident in using language in a greater variety of situations.
They will, for example:
- Listen to and discuss a wide range of books and poems
- Recognise and join in with predictable phrases
- Learn some rhymes and poems to recite by heart
- Discuss the meaning of words and extend vocabulary
- Join in with discussions and explain their understanding
- Change their speaking when taking on a role of a character during play
In Year 2, to become more fluent in reading the children will:
- read accurately and fluently most words of two or more syllables without overt sounding and blending
- read most words containing common suffixes, e.g. –ed, -ing
- read most common exception words (see below for Year 2 common exception word list)
- answer questions and make some inferences on the basis of what is being said and done.
In Year 2 children will develop their writing to include the following key areas:
- write simple, coherent narratives about personal experiences and those of others (real or fictional)
- write about real events, recording these simply and clearly
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
- demarcate sentences in their writing with capital letters and full stops, and use question marks correctly when required
- use present and past tense mostly correctly and consistently
- use co-ordination (e.g. or / and / but) and some subordination (e.g. when / if / that / because) to join clauses
- segment spoken words into phonemes and represent these by graphemes, spelling many of these words correctly and making phonically-plausible attempts at others
- spell many common exception words (see below Year 2 common exception word list)